Creamy Corn and Idaho® Potato Salad with Buttermilk Bacon Dressing
- 1 ½ pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- Kosher or coarse salt to taste
- ½ onion, finely minced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups crisp-tender cooked corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Cut the potatoes into ½ inch dice. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat, add the potatoes, cover the pot partially and return the water to a simmer, then reduce the heat so that the water stays at a simmer. Simmer for about 12 minutes until the potatoes are just fork-tender. Drain the potatoes but do not rinse, and let the potatoes cool for about 10 minutes in the colander.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl mix together the onion, yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, mustard, and salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes, corn, basil, and half the bacon in a large bowl, pour the dressing over and toss to mix well. Turn into a serving bowl and top with the remainder of the crumbled bacon.
What the Kids Can Do: Measure and mix together the dressing, crumble the bacon, stir together the salad. There are also any number of add-ins that would be great here, and this is a great opportunity to see what ideas the kids have (hints: sliced scallions, minced bell peppers for more crunch, halved cherry tomatoes, little cubes of mozzarella).