Breakfast Pastry Hashbrowns
- 2 pounds 6 ounces browned ground sausage
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 3 pound bag of frozen shredded hash browns
- 21 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 quarts milk
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups lard
- 1 1/2 cups ice water
- Blend crust ingredients together and knead until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll out first half large enough to fit 10X15 pan.
- Place rolled dough in greased pan, press up the sides of the pan. Place a layer of shredded frozen hash browns on top of crust.
- Mix the ground sausage and onion and place on top of hash browns. Place a layer of cheese over meat/onion mixture. Beat eggs, milk and dry mustard together and pour over top of layers.
- Roll remaining crust and place on top. Seal and tuck edges into pan. Make 6-8 slits with knife in top crust. Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes. Brush top with butter, rotate pan and continue baking another 30 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean or an internal temperature reaches 165°. Cut into 2X2 squares. Serve hot.
Yield: 35 servings
Eveleth Health Services Park Nursing Home