Brandade de Morue
- 1 pound salt cod, boneless, skinless
- 2 to 3 Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled
- ¾ cup crème fraîche
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bread, toasted
- Soak salt cod 1 to 2 days in advance, changing water several times.
- Fill saucepot with cold water and submerge salt cod. Bring water to a simmer; as soon as simmer is reached, immediately remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain. Shred cod.
- Cook potatoes in a pot of boiling water until tender. Drain potatoes and mash them with a fork.
- In a saucepot, lightly scald crème fraîche. In a separate saucepot, gently warm olive oil.
- In a food processor, pulse salt cod and garlic until just mixed. Add mashed potatoes and drizzle in warm olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Add crème fraîche and pulse until fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture under broiler until browned on top. Serve with toasted bread.