Baker's-Style Idaho® Potatoes with Morels and Sweet Onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Walla Walla or Maui, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh morel mushrooms, cleaned and halved (if fresh morels are not available, substitute dried; reconstitute in water)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 small Idaho® potatoes, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch disks
- 4 cups chicken stock or meat stock, boiled to reduce by half
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, snipped in 3/8-inch lengths
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Melt butter in large ovenproof sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, morels and thyme; season with salt and pepper. (If using commercial stock, add salt carefully.) Cook gently until onions are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add potatoes; gently stir to mix. Add enough reduced stock to barely cover potatoes; add bay leaf. Bring to boil; immediately remove from heat and transfer to oven.
- Bake until potatoes are cooked, the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency and top layer of potatoes is lightly browned, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives.