Ask Dr. Potato
The IPC office is closed for the holiday but don't fear… with 764 posts your Idaho potato questions have probably already been answered! Keywords that might help you find the answers you’re looking for include: potato salad or Summer.
Baking Potatoes for a Large Group
We are having an event where we will be serving baked potatoes. I will be cooking 30-40 medium to large Idaho potatoes in our oven. We have two ovens - one with two racks, the other with one. I typically wash the potatoes, poke them a few times, and place them right on the rack at about 400°F for 60 minutes. Considering the number of potatoes and their size I have a few questions below: (Answers are in red) What temperature do you suggest I use to cook them?
- What temperature do you suggest I use to cook them?
- 400°F (potatoes are done when internal temp reaches 210°F).
- Yes, use both ovens. Poke the potatoes a few times and then place them directly on the rack.
- 1 hour for the larger sizes, I would plan on 1 hour 15 minutes max.
- The altitude should not affect the baking time of potatoes.
Here are some additional links that may be helpful in baking a large amount of potatoes at once:
Dr. Potato isn't a real doctor but a team of potato experts ready to answer all your potato questions.
Click here to submit »