Ask Dr. Potato
With 740 posts, chances are there's already an answer to your question. Please try searching below before submitting a question to Dr. Potato. Use multiple words to help narrow down the results. For example, search for "potatoes" and "group" if looking for an answer on cooking potatoes for large groups.
Dr. Potato gives usage tips for Processed Idaho® Potatoes
Dear Dr. Potato, I know frozen and dehydrated potatoes are convenient and cost-efficient, but how do I differentiate my fries and hash browns from those served by my competitors? Do you have tips for creating signature side dishes from processed potatoes?
A savvy operator keeps his/her eye on the bottom line, while keeping customers coming back for unique, creative and flavorful potato dishes. Take a look at the range of variety, sizes and styles of and menu opportunities for processed Idaho® potatoes:
- Shapes and Flavors–specialty fries are available in distinctive shapes, as well as in a variety of infused flavors and batters. Ask your supplier about these fry styles: thick-cut, plain or batter-dipped, straight or curly, triangles and tots.
- Dips and Toppings–serve fries with signature dips or toppings. Choices popular with customers include blue cheese/buffalo, ranch, honey mustard and garlicky mayonnaise. For a healthier profile, use low fat dairy or vegetable purées as a dip base.
- Fry Right–keep fries completely frozen before frying. Find the right temperature for your frying conditions, but don’t exceed 365°F. The low sugar content of Idaho® potatoes results in light golden fries.
- Value-added–processed Idaho® mashed potatoes can be simple or elaborate, casual or upscale. Ask about pre-seasoned processed mashed potatoes with authentic flavors and home-style appearance.
- Versatility–put a signature stamp on mashed by flavoring with buttermilk, bacon, grated cheese, garlic and herbs, or mushrooms/truffles; or mix with egg yolks, butter and cream to piping consistency, pipe into swirls, sprinkle with cheese and bake to golden brown.
- Gluten-free coating–use potato flakes/granules as a coating for fish, chicken or vegetables. Add the flakes to bread, pancake, doughnut and roll recipes to increase moistness.
Frozen/Dehydrated Hash Browns
- Pack options–dehydrated Idaho® hash browns are packed in cartons and bags in a variety of sizes. Frozen Idaho® hash browns are shipped in bulk packs of pre-portioned shredded, IQF shredded, slices/dices/skin-on, random cuts, and specialty styles.
- Versatility–serve as a side dish at every meal occasion; pat into pie pans or muffin tins for a gluten-free crust; use as a hearty layer in burgers and sandwiches; layer with gravy and cheese for a unique poutine; add grated zucchini or root vegetables and herbs for a signature blend.
- Reduced fat–Griddle using a non-stick pan and cooking spray, or spray coat a sheet pan and oven baked.
- Instant appetizer–fun and tasty, Idaho® potato skins are perennially popular and can be customized to fit any occasion. Season and get creative with sautéed vegetables, cheese, meats or poultry, chili, pizza or taco toppings.
- Step up to the bar–generate excitement with an Idaho® potato skin bar, allow customers to mix and match toppings.
- Elegant side–twice-baked potatoes add flair and value to any entrée and come in several appealing flavor profiles.
- Customized–frozen twice-baked and potato skins are available in a variety of sizes and flavors. For volume orders, processors can customize size and flavor profiles to fit your menu concept.
- Ready-to-serve comfort–scalloped and au gratin Idaho® potatoes deliver all the taste and texture that your customers remember from celebrations and family meals.
- Portion control–the high solids and low-moisture content of Idaho® potatoes means less shrinkage, a light texture, and more plate coverage.
- Layering ideas–Layer scalloped potatoes with turnip and red onion slices before adding milk and butter; or shredded cheese and diced ham; or use instead of noodles in lasagna or moussaka. Add spices, herbs, cheese, Dijon mustard and other seasonings to the white sauce.
Menuing Idaho® guarantees your customers are enjoying the best potato available. With a high solids/low moisture content, Idaho® potatoes deliver a distinct fluffy texture and hearty flavor. They also absorb less oil and maintain their original volume/yield (low moisture means less shrinkage). Idaho® potatoes also provide a popular, versatile and tasty solution to gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan menu challenges.
Find more information on purchasing, prepping and customizing processed and dehydrated Idaho® potatoes in our How To section. Browse signature recipes for French fries, mashed, hash browns, potato skins and more in Foodservice Recipes.
Dr. Potato isn't a real doctor but a team of potato experts ready to answer all your potato questions.
Click here to submit »