Warm Idaho® Potato Salad Served with Barbecue Short Ribs
- 6 lb. beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 qt. beef stock
- Bouquet garni (celery stalk, parsley sprig, bay leaf, thyme sprig)
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 lb. Idaho potatoes
- 12 oz. jicama, peeled
- 2 oz. bacon, diced
- 1 oz. shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup each cider vinegar and beef stock
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Barbecue Short Ribs
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Sear in hot pan to brown both sides.
- Transfer to braising pan.
- Deglaze sauté pan with beef stock; pour over ribs.
- Add bouquet garni and cover braising pan.
- Braise meat in 350°F over for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove pan from oven. Thin barbecue sauce with braising juices; ladle sauce over ribs.
- Return to oven; braise and additional 30 minutes until ribs are tender.
- Remove meat from pan; discard bones. Strain braising sauce; degrease and reserve.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender but not soft.
- Peel; cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Cook jicama until tender; cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Combine potatoes and jicama reserve, keeping warm.
- Fry bacon until crisp; add shallots and garlic. Cook just until tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, stock and parsley.
- Add bacon-shallot dressing to warm potatoes and jicama.
- Toss to combine salad; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut 4 oz. braised rib meat into thick, lengthwise slices.
- Arrange meat slices over 1/2 cup portions warm potato salad.
- Ladle meat and salad with 2 oz. barbecue sauce.
Yield: 8 servings