Veggie Tater Tot Skillet
- 4-1/2 pounds Idaho® Russet Potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1-½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- oil for deep frying
- 3 ounces unsalted Butter
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) diced onion
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) diced red bell pepper
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) diced yellow bell pepper
- 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) diced green bell pepper
- 6 ounces mushrooms sliced ¼-inch (about 2 cups)
- 2 pounds spinach leaves, coarsely chopped (about 2 quarts packed)
- 12 ounces Roma Tomato, diced
- 2 ounces (about 1 cup) chopped kale leaves
- 6 ounces (about 1-1/2 cups) sliced black olives, drained
- 6 ounces jack cheese, grated
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- sliced avocado and snipped chives for garnish
- Scrub potatoes; boil in a large pot of water until firm-tender. Drain and cool completely. Remove skin. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Grate potatoes on the small hole of a box grater. Place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Place 8-10 ounces tater tots in an individual casserole or oven-proof skillet. Top with 3-4 ounces of the vegetables and top with cheese, making sure to cover all the vegetables with cheese
- Form tater tots with a round cutter or use two soup spoons to form into 1-1/2-inch by 3/4-inch ‘tots’. About 1 rounded tablespoon potato mixture per tot.
- Roll tots in flour and set aside
- Deep fry at 350°F until golden brown and cooked through. Drain well. Hold until ready to serve.
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Saute onions, bell peppers and mushrooms until softened. Add spinach, tomatoes, kale and olives; cook until greens are just wilted.
- Place 7-8 tater tots in an individual casserole or oven-proof skillet. Top with a portion of the vegetables and Jack cheese, making sure to cover all the vegetables with cheese
- Broil briefly until cheese is melted
- Serve in hot casserole or transfer to a serving plate.
- Garnish with avocado and chives
Breakfast at Tiffany's, San Francisco, CA