Scallops with Spanish Pommes Anna
- 3 lbs Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo, julienned
- 2 ounces butter, melted
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces canola oil
- 3 pounds sea scallops (20/30)
- 2 ounces garlic, sliced thin
- 12 ounces red onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces dry morel mushrooms, soaked in water (or fresh morels in season)
- 2 ounces Sauterne wine
- 16 ounce fresh peas, blanched
- 16 ounce sugar snap peas, blanched
- 1/2 ounce fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 ounce fresh Italian parsley, chopped coarse
- 4 ounces butter
- Preheat over to 350°F. Line a 1/3 steam pan with parchment paper and brush with butter.
- Slice one potato at a time (#15 on slicer), brush each slice with butter and place in layers in the pan. Season each layer lightly and sprinkle with a little cheese on each layer. After every 2 layers of potato add strips of chorizo, continue until all the potatoes, chorizo and 2 ounces of cheese are used.
- Fold the paper over and cover with foil. Bake on a sheet pan for 35-45 minutes until the potatoes a tender and lightly browned.
- Place in cooler to chill with a weight on top to press. Remove from pan when cooled.
- Cut into 12 pieces and place on a sheet pan, spaced out. Bake for 12 minutes at 350°F, then top each piece with remaining cheese and bake until cheese is golden and hot. Hold in warmer until needed.
- Heat a large sauté pan on high, add just enough oil to cover the bottom, season the Scallops and sear on both sides, remove. Keep warm. Add a little more oil and sauté the garlic until golden; add the onion, morels and thyme. Cook until onions are soft, deglaze with wine, and reduce by 1/2. Add the parsley and butter, over low heat stir to incorporate. Check seasoning.
- Place the potato on plates, divide the peas & morel mixture on them. Top with the warm scallops, dividing evenly. Serve.