Roasted Garlic and Idaho® Potato Soup
- 1 large bulb garlic (about 3 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup instant Idaho mashed potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Wrap garlic in foil, place on baking sheet and bake 45 minutes, until garlic is tender and packet feels soft when pressed. When cool enough to handle, unwrap, cut top off garlic bulb and squeeze garlic out.
- In large saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and red pepper and cook about 15 minutes, until onion is golden, brown and tender, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, water, salt, thyme, black pepper and roasted garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes for flavor to develop. Remove from heat and, working in several batches, puree in a blender.
- Return soup to pan and whisk in instant mashed potatoes. Over low heat, cook about 3 minutes, just until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in milk and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, until well chilled.
- To serve, spoon into serving bowls and top each with a dollop of sour cream.
Yield: 4 servings
Sodium: 698 mg
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 6 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)