Potato Soft Pretzel Bites with Creamy Caramel Dip
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup mashed Idaho® potatoes, unseasoned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- Coarse salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large bowl, mix water and yeast until yeast is dissolved. Add mashed potatoes, sugar and salt. Add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is tacky but no longer sticky.
- Roll out onto a floured surface, divide dough into 5 or 6 pieces, and roll into ropes about 1-inch thick. Cut the ropes into 1-inch segments. (For extra game day spirit, roll each piece into a football shape.)
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and sprinkle a light layer of cornmeal on top.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and stir in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Drop several dough pieces into the water bath and allow them to cook until they float to the top (about 3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and brush onto dough pieces. Sprinkle with coarse salt and place sheet into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a bowl, blend softened cream cheese with caramel ice cream topping for a delicious dip.