Reuben Brat-Stuffed Baked Idaho® Potatoes
- large (about 2-1/4 pounds) Idaho Potatoes, scrubbed and patted dry
- 1 12-ounce can "light" beer or water
- 4 links (1 pound) fresh bratwurst*
- 1/2 cup bottled, fat-free thousand island salad dressing
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1-1/3 cups sauerkraut, lightly rinsed, drained and warmed chopped, fresh parsley for garnish
- Prick each potato several times with a fork. Place potatoes on a microwave-safe, 9-inch pie plate. Cover with microwave paper or waxed paper and microwave on HIGH for 15-18 minutes, or until cooked through and tender; keep warm until serving time.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, bring the beer or water to boiling. Add the fresh bratwurst, reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes, then drain and place the bratwurst on a boiling pan. Broil 4-6 inches from the heat for 5-10 minutes, or until browned, turning once during cooking. Remove from the oven and slice bratwurst lengthwise into quarters, then in half cross-wise to yield 8 "sticks."
- To serve, cut a lengthwise slit in the top of each cooked potato (do not cut completely through the potatoes). Spread the potatoes open and place them on plates. Top each potato with 2 tablespoons of the dressing, 1/4 cup of the cheese, 8 of the bratwurst "sticks" and 1/3 cup of the sauerkraut; sprinkle with a little chopped parsley for garnish, if desired.
- * Fresh bratwurst can be challenging to find. Consult your local butcher shop.
Yield: 4 servings
Sodium: 1063 mg
Fat: 20 g
Protein: 25 g
Cholesterol: 52 mg