Ina's Perfect Idaho® Potato Pancakes (or Latkes)
- 6 – 8 ounces Idaho® potatoes
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup all-purpose flour or matzo meal
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Using a 4 sided box grater, or the medium shredding disc in the food processor, grate the potatoes alternately with the onions.
- Place the shredded potato/onion mixture into a strainer above a large bowl, and with a wooden spoon, press out the excess moisture. Pour off the liquid from the bowl, reserving the potato starch that remained at the bottom. Place the shredded potato/onion mixture into the bowl and mix to incorporate the starch.
- Stir the beaten eggs into the mixture and add the flour or matzo meal to make a light batter.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Heat ½” oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Drop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the oil and flatten a little. (The flatter the pancake, the crispier it will be.)
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, turning only once.
- Remove and drain on a wire rack over a sheet pan.
- Keep warm in a 200°F oven.