Medallions of Ahi Tuna atop Idaho® Potato-Shallot Cake
- 4 oz. portabella dice (see recipe)
- 2 Idaho® potato-shallot cakes, each cut into 4 wedges (see recipe)
- 1 lb. spinach, cooked
- 8 3-ounce portions of tuna medallions
- 1 ½ oz. foie gras, (4 pieces)
- 4 oz. red wine sauce (see recipe)
- to taste, salt and pepper
- 2 portobello mushrooms, large
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Thsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme
Red Wine Sauce
- 4 Tbsp mushroom stems, trimmings
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups veal demi-glace
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
Idaho® Potato Cake
- 8-10 Idaho® Potatoes, large
- 8 shallots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clarified butter as needed
- Sweet cleaned spinach with olive oil and shallots. Season. Should be 1/4 - 1/2 cup per order
- Cut stems off mushrooms; reserve. Cut caps in 1/2 inch slices.
- Blend all other ingredients together to create marinade.
- Marinate mushrooms at least 2 hours.
- Grill slices and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
Red Wine Sauce
- Sweat out mushrooms and shallots.
- Add wine and vinegar; reduce by one-third.
- Add demi-glace and sprig of thyme; reduce by half; strain.
Idaho Potato Cake
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Shred or grate potatoes and shallots.
- Season and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Fluff out to break up clumps and mound in hot 6-inch pan with clarified butter.
- Press and shape, pulling up sides, to make compact round.
- Brown on both sides; finish in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to match size of tuna. One round yields 4 wedges or 2 servings.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and shallots until the shallots are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper, and toss.
- Reduce heat to low and cover; let cook for 2 minutes. Turn out onto a towel and roll up the towel to blot up excess moisture.
- Brush the tuna with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or broiler to very hot. Sear the tuna for 2 minutes on each side, then remove from heat.
- Season the foie gras pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet or saute pan over high heat, heat the remaining olive oil and sear the foie gras slices for 30 seconds on one side, turn over, and remove the pan from heat.
- Warm portobello dice in red wine sauce.
- Warm 8 potato wedges in 400°F oven.
- Sweat spinach; season; keep in cloth towel.
- Season and oil well 8 pieces of tuna; grill rare.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan in which to sear foie gras on one side, turn; remove pan from heat.
- Place 2 potato wedges on plate and cover with hot spinach. Place grilled tuna on spinach and place foie gras on tuna.
- Add foie fat to red wine sauce; spoon sauce and mushrooms over all.
Yield: Serves 4