Marvelous Mashed Potato Ingredients:
- 15 medium-sized Idaho® potatoes, unpeeled
- large pot of cold water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Country Crock® margarine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Liquid Gold Gravy Ingredients:
- Bones from the carcass of 1,10-pound turkey
- 1 head garlic, cut in half, and chopped into pieces
- 1 large onion, julienne sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Country Crock® margarine
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 ½ pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Wondra flour
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Make potatoes: Wash and rinse 15 medium sized, skin-on Idaho® potatoes. Place in pot, cover with water to a depth that’s 1 inch higher than the top of the potatoes. Turn heat to medium only until water begins to steam. Turn heat to medium low.
- Do not boil the water. Simmer potatoes for 2 hours or more until easily pierced with a fork but not falling apart.
- Remove potatoes from water. Place in warm, 325 degree F oven for 10 minutes to dry the skins of the potatoes.
- While potatoes are drying, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine margarine, cream and olive oil and heat through. Set aside.
- Peel potatoes. Discard skins. Push peeled potatoes through a potato ricer into a large pot, OR mash peeled potatoes in a large pot using an old-fashioned potato masher.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir hot cream/margarine/olive oil mixture in small amounts into the mashed potatoes, working the potatoes until light and fluffy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Make gravy: Place oven rack in the center of oven. Set oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Break up turkey carcass bones into level layer in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle with julienned onion and chopped garlic pieces. Add one cup of water.
- Roast bones with onions and garlic at 350 degrees F for one hour.
- Remove from oven. Remove bones to a separate bowl. On stovetop over medium heat, deglaze roasting pan with 1 cup white wine.
- Pour contents of roasting pan through strainer. Reserve wine-deglazing liquid.
- Return bones to roasting pan. Cover with 12 cups water. Set oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast bones in water for three hours.
- Near the end of cooking time, in a heavy skillet over medium heat, melt margarine and cook sliced mushrooms with thyme. Set aside.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Pour liquid remaining in roasting pan into skillet with mushrooms. Cook down for 10 minutes. Add the reserved wine-deglazing liquid. Simmer for five more minutes. Pour all through a strainer. Discard mushrooms and herbs. Continue to heat gravy in skillet over medium heat. Whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons of Wondra flour to thicken to desired consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste.