Potato Bisque Ingredients:
- 8 large Idaho® Russet potatoes, washed, dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 stick salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with flat side of knife
- 2 ½ cups leeks, sliced, white part only
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- black pepper, to taste
Lardon and Cheddar Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup bacon lardons
- 2 cups cheddar, grated
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, green part only
- 8 rounded tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chives, finely chopped
Potato Bisque Directions:
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Rub potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then position on oven racks. Bake for 40 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and add garlic, leeks and onion. Sauté until tender, then add chicken stock and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
- When potatoes are cooked, slice open and gently scoop out the insides into the stockpot, leaving about a 1/4-inch thickness in the skins. Reserve skins to use as soup bowls. Stir cream into stockpot. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- With a handheld blender or in a traditional blender, blend soup until smooth. While still hot, pour bisque into hollowed-out potato skins. Garnish with lardon and Cheddar topping.
Lardon and Cheddar Topping Directions:
- Cook lardons until crispy. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and reserve for garnish.