Briazz Potato Stackzz
- 6 pounds Idaho® potatoes, washed, peeled
- 1 - 2 pounds leeks, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 1/8 quarts mustard sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 quarts medium white or béchamel sauce
- 4 ounces whole grain mustard
- 2 ounces vegetable base
- 1 - 2 tablespoons salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2" deep hotel pan (12"x 20").
- Slice potatoes 1/8" - 1/4" thick. Place in large pot, cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer until barely tender, 7 - 10 minutes. Alternately, blanch by steaming until barely tender. Air-cool potatoes spread out on sheet pan, 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sweat leeks in butter until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Have mustard sauce ready.
- To assemble gratin, layer 1/4 of potatoes, 1/4 of sauce, 1/4 of leeks, 1/4 of cheese in hotel pan. Repeat this process to create 4 layers.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes to an internal temperature of 175°F.
- Remove cover; bake 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Hold at 200°F for up to one hour, or chill quickly and slice to heat later.