Loaded Baked Idaho® Potato Salad
"This salad involves everything you would put on a loaded baked potato-sour cream, bacon, cheddar, chives, onion, butter-in a refreshing presentation. Potatoes are great vehicles for flavor, whether they're hot or cold!" - Kenny Bowers
- 4 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound bacon, crisply cooked, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (fat reserved, if desired)
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups grated or shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (regular or low-fat)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook whole potatoes in boiling, unsalted water until tender. Refrigerate until chilled, then chop into one-inch pieces.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl along with the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine. Add some of the reserved bacon fat if desired.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Adjust the seasoning prior to serving.
- Note: Any condiments or toppings typically added to a loaded baked potato may be used for this recipe.