Leftover Mashed Potato Muffins
Wondering what to do with those leftover mashed potatoes? Turn them into cheesy potato muffins effortlessly. They freeze really well making these muffins perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Read Anushree's full post here.
- Cooking spray as needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3½ cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes
- ¼ cup mozzarella or sharp cheddar, shredded
- Sour cream for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease the muffin pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs till the egg whites and yolks are well combined.
- Add the eggs along with chopped spinach, cheddar cheese, green onions, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop the potato-egg mixture into the prepared muffin tins filling the cups a little over 3/4 full. Smooth out the top using a spoon.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and sprinkle each with a cheese topping of your choice.
- Return muffins to oven and continue to bake for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing them.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped green onions.
- I love using spinach, it makes the dish taste almost like a quiche. You can add shredded carrots too.
- If you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes, you can replace it with 2 medium-sized Idaho® potatoes. To make mashed potatoes:
- Chop the potatoes into cubes and place them in the steel insert of an Instant Pot along with a teaspoon of salt. Add water until the potatoes are completely immersed. Close the lid.
- Pressure cook them for 5 minutes on high. Do a quick release (i.e move the steam valve from the sealing to venting position).
- Drain the water. Use the back of your ladle or a potato masher to mash until no chunks remain.
- It is very important that you grease the muffin pans properly otherwise the muffins will stick.
- The muffins take anywhere between 25-35 minutes to cook. Keep a close eye around the 25-minute mark. When the sides begin to brown, insert a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done!
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Saturated Fat: 3g