Laurie's Homemade Tots
Laurie Foster, wife of former Idaho Potato Commissioner Boyd Foster, shares one of the family's Thanksgiving favorites.
- 2 medium Idaho Russet potatoes*
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- Peel and cube potatoes into food processor bowl. Pulse them a few times with care not to chop so that they become too fine and mushy.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. Thoroughly mix in the flour and make sure everything is coated. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes before frying. Heat 1/2" vegetable oil to 375°F.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the potato mixture and compress it a little with your fingers while on the spoon. Push the "tater tot" off of the spoon (gently) into the shallow (hot) vegetable oil. Fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side). Season with salt while still hot. Serve with barbecue sauce or ranch dressing for dipping.
- *Home chef's note: Use only Idaho potatoes; due to their high solids content, they crisp up nicely. Other varieties hold too much water.
- Note: This recipe is straight from a home kitchen and has not been professionally tested.
Yield: 4 - 6; 2 to 3 tots per serving
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)