Kentucky Hot Brown Idaho® Potato Waffles
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, fine dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch salt/pepper, or to taste
- Top With
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds cooked turkey, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sliced bacon
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Cheese Sauce (see notes)
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat, until onion is translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine cooled onions and garlic with mashed potatoes, flour, eggs, bacon, cheese and seasonings in a large bowl until well uniform.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. When heated, prepare waffles as usual. For a large waffle iron, this recipe makes 2 large waffles, and the cook time was approximately 10 minutes per waffle. Waffles are done when dark golden brown and crispy on the outside but soft inside.
- Top waffles with turkey, bacon, tomatoes and cheese sauce. Toast under broiler, if desired.
Mashed Potato Directions
- To prepare the mashed potatoes, simply peel and cut the potatoes into chunks, then cook in boiling salted water until tender. Mash with a hand mixer or potato masher.
Cheese Sauce Directions
- To prepare the cheese sauce, heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk, stirring until well mixed. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Cook for 5 minutes longer; add 1 cup of cheddar cheese slowly, little bits at a time. Stir until smooth and well blended.