Idaho® Potato Minestrone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho Potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 16-ounce can cannellini or kidney beans, drained
- 5 cups beef broth
- Pinch of crushed, red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over high heat and sauté garlic for 1 1/2 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add onion and cook for another 2 minutes; add pumpkin pie spice and ham and cook another 3 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Stir in potatoes, beans and broth; heat until boiling. Turn heat down to medium, cover and simmer soup for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Ladle into bowls, garnish with crushed red pepper flakes, cheese or parsley if desired, and serve.