Idaho® Potato and Litehouse® Ranch Soup
- 10 pounds Idaho® red potatoes
- 2 pounds bacon
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 6 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 quart water
- ½ gallon milk
- ½ gallon heavy whipping cream
- 6 pounds mashed potatoes
- 3 pounds cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 fluid ounces Litehouse® Homestyle Ranch dressing
Litehouse® Homestyle Bacon Ranch Sauce:
- 3 ounces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 ounces Litehouse® Homestyle Ranch dressing
- Cut red potatoes in half creating 2 equal halves. Cut those halves in half again lengthwise creating quarters. Cut the quarters into ¼” quarter moons and place in a bowl of water to reduce oxidation.
- Drain cut potatoes and place them in boiling water. Cook until just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Dice the bacon and add to a large stockpot set over medium-high heat.
- Once the bacon is fully cooked and crispy add the garlic. TIP: Leave the bacon renderings for extra flavor.
- Let garlic cook for 2 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Add the potatoes, chives, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly. Let cook for 2 minutes. Watch carefully and adjust heat as needed not to burn.
- Add water, milk and heavy cream. Whisk well.
- Whisk in mashed potatoes and cheese until all the mashed potatoes have dispersed into the soup and cheese is completely melted. NOTE: Cheese will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn if not completely whisked in.
- Turn heat to medium and let the soup simmer until the texture is velvety and smooth, about 20 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Stir in Ranch dressing, garnish with Homestyle Bacon Ranch Sauce and serve.
Litehouse Homestyle Bacon Ranch Sauce:
- Cook the bacon and place into a blender with the fat (this will add additional flavor).
- Add the dressing and blend for 15 seconds. Remove the lid, scrape down the sides and blend for an additional 20 seconds.
- Place into a squeeze bottle.
Yield: 50 – 12 fl oz. servings
Chef Jason Hernandez, Las Vegas, NV, Blade & Tine Culinary