Chocolate Bacon Potato Chips
- 1 large Idaho® potato (about 12 ounces)
- 3 bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Idaho Huckleberry Sauce (recipe follows)
- 8 ounces chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- oil for deep frying
- 4 ounces Idaho huckleberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Place the sugar and water into a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Once the mixture starts bubbling, cook for 2 minutes. Add the huckleberries and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let the sauce come to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the bacon slices onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle each slice with the brown sugar, then with the red pepper flakes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until they are cooked completely. Set aside to cool. Once cool, dice the bacon into ¼” pieces.
- Heat the frying oil to 350°F. Slice the potato on a mandolin to about 1/10th of an inch slices. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Blanch the potato slices in the oil for 5 seconds, then lay them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake them at 350°F for 8-10 minutes until they are all golden brown. Let them cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring each time until completely melted.
- Dip each chip into the chocolate, covering about 85% of the chip. Place back onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Place a few pieces of the bacon onto the chocolate covered chip. Repeat until you have dipped all of the chips and added bacon. Cool for 1 hour at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for one minute.
- Place chips on a serving platter and serve with the Idaho Huckleberry Sauce.
Yield: 30-35 Chips