Extra "Gooda" Idaho® Potato Cups
- 4 medium Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and pierced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup real bacon bits
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut a very thin slice off ends of each potato. Wrap each potato in paper towel and place in microwave about 1/2-inch apart. Microwave on high setting 10 - 12 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from microwave. Let stand 5 minutes to cool slightly. Cut in half crosswise so they resemble cups.
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Tilt skillet to coat bottom slightly. Cook onion 8 minutes or until richly browned. Add sugar and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the bacon bits and set aside.
- Using a small spoon, without tearing skin, carefully scoop out “meat” of potato halves. Place scooped potato meat in medium bowl. Place potato shells in sections of a muffin tin, cut side up.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the potato meat until fluffy. Add milk, sour cream, butter, cheese and salt. Mix until well-blended and spoon equal amounts into each “potato cup.” Place equal amounts of onion mixture (approximately 2 tablespoons) on top of each potato cup. Bake 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated