Rosolje: Estonian Idaho® Potato and Beet Salad
A delicious lightened up, vegetarian version of Estonia’s famously delicious Rosolje: Pink potato and beet salad. It’s the perfect dish for your next party, picnic or BBQ.
- 2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes of similar size, peeled (4 medium)
- 1 ¾ pounds red beets of similar size, scrubbed (4 medium)
- 1 ½ cups of ¼-inch-diced dill pickles or bread and butter pickles
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely minced red onion
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon hot English mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and sliced, optional garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Scrub beets and wrap them in foil. Set them on a roasting pan and bake them for 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, (15 min or so) rub off the skins using a paper towel, or use a vegetable peeler. Cut them into 1/2-inch dice.
- While beets are baking put potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by a few inches. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes and check for doneness. Potatoes are done when tender all the way through. Test with a fork or skewer. Drain and cool. Cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, horseradish, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl toss all the chopped ingredients with the dressing. Chill for at least an hour.
- Garnish with sliced eggs and parsley, if you like.
Time Saving Tip: This is a great dish to make ahead. It will taste even better when the flavors have time to meld, and it can be kept in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. Garnish just before serving.