Curried Potatoes and Baby Peas (Tariwale Aloo)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 medium Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen baby green peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- freshly cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Place a deep nonstick skillet on medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the cumin seeds. As soon as the seeds sizzle, add the onions. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, till the onions turn golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for about another minute, till fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, till the oil begins to separate out from the tomato–onion mixture. If it starts to stick or dries out, add a couple of tablespoons of water. The idea here is to cook down the tomatoes till soft.
- Add the curry powder, coriander, cayenne, and turmeric and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the potatoes, peas, and water. Bring to a roaring boil. Cover tightly, lower heat to medium, and cook for about 15 minutes, till the potatoes are fork-tender. If the mixture dries out, stir in another ½ cup water.
- Remove the cover, add the salt, and mix well. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve over rice.