Idaho® Potato Bacon Wrapped Bowls
These delicious Idaho® Potato Bacon Wrapped Bowls are a fun new way to serve soup! Fill with this homemade creamy clam chowder, or your favorite soup or chili! Now you can enjoy your soup and eat the bowl too.
- 4 large Idaho® Russet Potatoes
- 8 slices raw bacon
- 1 additional Idaho® Russet Potato, diced
- 1 additional slice of raw bacon, chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cans clams, drained and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Slice each Idaho® Russet Potato in half. Slice off the rounded part on the bottom of each. This will allow the potato bowl to sit evenly.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the center of each raw potato. Leave 1/2 inch towards the bottom so the soup won't leak out the bottom.
- Wrap the raw potato bowls with a slice of raw bacon. Use a toothpick to pin the bacon down. (You will be able to remove this toothpick when the potatoes and bacon are cooked.)
- Bake the potatoes for 40-45 minutes until soft.
- While the potatoes are baking, add oil, garlic, and onion to a soup pot. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and the chopped raw slice of bacon to the pot and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add milk, water, clams, and spices to the pot. Cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes, reduce heat to a simmer and cook an additional 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cornstarch and mix quickly to avoid lumps
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, remove the toothpicks.
- Fill each potato bowl with hot chowder.