Curried Chicken Tot
- 2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 chicken breasts or 3 legs, preferably cooked from leftovers, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium sized carrot, ¼” diced
- 1 cup cooked or frozen peas
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Paneer cheese, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons madras curry powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, mixed with a little water and whisked
- 2 cups Panko
- Cook potatoes in salted water until soft or about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sweat the carrot and onion in a little olive oil until softened slightly.
- Season with salt to taste and place in a bowl and mix thoroughly with the chopped chicken, frozen peas, cheese and curry.
- When the potatoes have cooled, mash with a tater masher or with your hands and add to the seasoned veggie/meat mixture and blend well. Refrigerate.
- Set up a breading station while the tot mixture cools in the fridge.
- Form the tot mix into golf ball-sized tots. Flour first, egg wash second and finish in panko crumbs. Make sure there are no bare spots or the tots will explode in the fryer.
- Cook in rice oil (or whichever oil you choose) until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before service…tots hold their heat quite well.