Creamy Russet Chowder
This is a revamped recipe from our Russet Recipe Rescue Contest, originally submitted by Candy Barnhart.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound turkey bacon, diced
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (5-6 ounces each) Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups finely chopped cauliflower florets
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, onion and celery. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes longer, stirring once.
- Add potatoes, stir and cook 4 minutes, stirring once. Add cauliflower and chicken stock and stir to combine. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk and blue cheese and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened. Pour into potato mixture and stir to combine.
- If desired, puree chowder using an immersion blender.
- Divide evenly among 8 soup bowls and serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings