Colcannon Idaho® Potato and Kale Casserole
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more to grease the dish
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or grated
- 5 ounces baby kale leaves
- 2 ounces aged sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400 º F; grease a 2.5-liter casserole dish with butter and set aside.
- Add the potato to a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Put the lid on the saucepan and bring it to a boil, and then uncover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes, reducing the heat slightly as necessary so the potatoes don’t boil over. Drain the potatoes well, return them to the pot, and mash them with 2 tablespoons butter, the milk, salt, and pepper.
- While the potatoes cook, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook until softened, but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and kale and cook until the kale is wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir the kale mixture into the mashed potatoes and transfer to the prepared casserole dish; sprinkle the cheddar on top.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes (you can turn on the broiler to help it brown faster, but watch it closely).