Homemade Veggie Dogs
This meatless version of the classic hot dog is full of vegetables, more flavorful, mildly spiced & delicious!
For the patties
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, de-seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- ¾ cup carrots, finely grated
- ½ medium beetroot, cooked, finely grated
- 3 medium Idaho® russet potatoes, cooked, mashed
- ½ cup peas, cooked, mashed
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
For the crumb coat
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
Make the veggie dog mixture
- In a medium pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the chopped onions with a pinch of salt until translucent. Stir in the chopped green chilies and ginger.
- Add the grated carrots and cook for a minute, making sure all the water is evaporated.
- Add the grated beetroot, potatoes, peas and ground spices. Season with salt, to taste.
- Continue cooking until the excess water is cooked off and you get a firm, but soft dough-like ball of the veggie mixture.
- Turn off heat and let cool completely.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and ¼ cup breadcrumbs until you get a stiff mix, ready to be rolled.
Shape the veggie dogs
- Divide the veggie mix into 8 equal parts (roughly ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon each).
- Using a small piece of clingfilm/wax paper, shape each ball into a sausage roughly the length of a hot dog bun, rolling with the help of the clingfilm/wax paper.
- Wrap in the same clingfilm/wax paper to refrigerate/freeze/until ready to fry.
Fry the veggie dogs
- Place ½ cup breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl or plate. Roll each veggie sausage in the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying.
- Place the veggie sausages (2-3 in a medium pan) and fry them over medium-low heat until properly browned on all sides. Since the filling is pre-cooked, you’re only going to fry until the outsides crisp up.
- Repeat with the remaining veggie dogs.
- Place inside a hot dog bun, top with mustard/ketchup/mayo, relish and serve immediately.
- The 3 medium Idaho® russet potatoes when cooked yielded 1.5 cups mashed potatoes.
- ½ medium beetroot, when cooked and grated, yielded 1 cup grated beetroot.
- I used roasted garlic flavored breadcrumbs. It greatly enhanced the taste. If you can't find any, just use your regular breadcrumbs mixed with garlic powder + Italian dried seasoning.
- You can pan-fry these with a little oil for a healthier version, but with deep-frying, you get a crispier crust. These were not meant to be grilled.
- These veggie sausages can be frozen in the clingfilm/wax paper placed in freezer bags for up to 6 months. They can also be made up to a week in advance and refrigerated until needed.
- They are best fried just before serving.