Coconut Scalloped Idaho® Potatoes
Monica Kass Rogers
Simplicity itself, this recipe has two ingredients. Well, as long as you don’t count salt and pepper. Created for a dairy allergic friend, this makes any meal truly special. The coconut milk combines with the natural starch from the potatoes to create a creamy sauce.
- 2 pounds of red, yellow and blue Idaho© potatoes (Southwind) approximately one bag of small potatoes or 6 medium
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon each pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ .
- Grease a 9x9 inch square glass dish.
- Slice the potatoes thinly. I use a mandoline for uniformity.
- Layer the potatoes into the pan, alternating yellow, red, blue.
- Combine coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes in the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or till potato slices are tender.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the top.
Tip: If you need to feed more people, you can easily double this recipe, using a 9x12 pan, 4 pounds of potatoes and two cans of coconut milk.
Tool Tip: A Mandoline is a simple hand tool with a very sharp blade, and a measured gap to create uniformly thin slices.