Chili Roasted Potatoes with Avocado Crema
- 2 pounds (900g) Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ large ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2½ tablespoons low-fat yogurt
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Scrub the potatoes, and slice them into ½-inch thick rounds. Peel the potatoes if you prefer not to eat the skins. If you are working with large Yukon potatoes, cut each slice in half so that you end up with half-moons.
- Adjust the racks in your oven, and slide one into the lowest rack. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the lowest rack as the oven heats up.
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot, and fill it with water, until it is about an inch above the potatoes. Add a teaspoon of salt in the pot. Bring the water to boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the potatoes simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes. You want the potatoes to be able to pierce the outer part of the potatoes, but the potatoes should not crumble.
- Drain the water and leave the potatoes in the pot. Drizzle 2½ tablespoons of oil, place the lid on the pot, and give it a good shake. The surface should look a bit powdery.
- Take the heated baking sheet from the oven and pour the remaining oil over it. Swirl the oil around so that it covers more surface area of the baking sheet. Line the potatoes on top of the baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of salt over the potatoes.
- Bake for 10 minutes and rotate the baking sheet. Bake for about another 5 to 10 minutes. Leave them in for 10 minutes if you want very browned potatoes. Take the potatoes out and flip them over with tongs or a spatula. Bake the potatoes for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown.
- When the potatoes are nearly done, prepare the avocado crema by blending all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Serve the potatoes with the crema.