- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and sear the chicken until golden brown, skin side down for approximately four minutes.
- Remove the pan containing the chicken from the stove and place it in the hot oven. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from oven, turn each chicken breast over and let the chicken rest for approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Spoon the potato carrot mash onto 4 dinner plates. Ladle the mushroom sauce over the top of the potatoes and top each mound of potatoes with a chicken breast. Serve.
Carrot and Thyme Idaho® Potatoes:
- Cover the potatoes and carrots with water in a large pot; add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are cooked through, approximately 6 - 8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and transfer them to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the thyme and butter; mix until combined.
- Turn the machine to high and whip the potatoes until just a few chunks remain. Add enough milk to moisten the potatoes and create a creamy texture. Taste and check seasoning. Keep warm.
Shiitake Mushroom Sauce:
- In a large pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and vinegar to the pan and bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining butter and scallions to the pan and whisk until the butter is completely incorporated. Keep warm.