Bourbon Glazed Ham and Cheese Idaho® Scalloped Potatoes
Tender scalloped Idaho® potatoes are layered with thinly sliced sweet and salty baked holiday ham, mozzarella cheese and a savory bourbon glaze. Baked until golden and bubbly.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups onions, small dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, scrubbed, sliced thin
- ½ pound honey ham, thinly sliced
- 3 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan, shredded
- 4 cups green onion, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
- In a large saucepan over MEDIUM heat, add butter, onion and garlic. Cook until tender- about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- In a separate saucepan over HIGH heat, combine beef broth, bourbon and brown sugar. Mix 1 cup of this mixture with 2 cups of milk. Continue reducing the remaining beef-bourbon sauce until reduced by half. Once reduced, remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Next, add the milk-beef broth mixture slowly to the onion-flour mix, whisking until thickened and smooth. Once all of the milk mixture has been added, stir in the black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil a 9” x 13” hotel pan.
- Layer ⅓ of the potatoes on the bottom, top with 1/3 of the cream sauce, sliced ham and 1 cup of mozzarella. Continue layering, ending with cream sauce, mozzarella and the Parmesan drizzled with the remaining bourbon glaze.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 35-45 more minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing. You can also pre-portion and store under refrigeration for service later.
- If cold, reheat in oven or low-temperature broiler and top with sliced scallions.
- For an off-premise option, this can be pre-portioned in disposable ramekins for individual portions, or in larger aluminum containers for a family-style re-heat and eat option.