Air Fried Fry Bread
Love traditional fry bread but hate the mess? Try this air fried version.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1½ tablespoons butter flavored shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4-4 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and salt
- Combine milk and shortening in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until shortening just melts and bubbles form around the edges. Do not boil. Remove from heat and cool until warm to the touch.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer stir together yeast mixture and milk mixture. Allow mixture to proof for 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg and 1½ cups of flour. Connect the dough hook attachment and turn mixer to a low setting. Mix until combined. Continue adding flour until dough forms a ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl covered with a towel. Allow dough to rest for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Set air fryer to 300°F. Break off a golf ball sized ball of dough and roll flat on a lightly floured surface. Place dough in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 9 minutes until puffy and browned. Repeat with remaining dough.