Yellow Idaho® Potato Duchess Sides
- 5 pounds of Yellow Idaho® Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup half and half, plus a splash for the egg wash
- In a large pot, boil the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they are fork tender.
- Drain in a colander, let sit 5 minutes, and then return to the pot.
- Add your butter, 3 egg yolks and cream, and then mash until smooth enough to add to a potato ricer, and then rice until extra smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and lightly butter paper or use a baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with the potatoes and create 8 equal mounds on the sheet, and then use the back of a spoon to create a well. Freeze for 10-15 minutes, or until firm.
- Whisk together remaining egg yolk and a splash of half and half, then brush the wash onto the potatoes and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
Time saving tip: Skip the piping bag and use a serving spoon to dollop the mash onto the baking sheet. And while it is easier to apply the wash with them firm, you can skip the freezer option if time is an issue.
Yield: 8 Servings