- 2 large Idaho® potatoes (12 ounces to 14 ounces each)
- Canola or other non-hydrogenated oil
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Peel potatoes and slice into desired shape (1/2-inch sticks, wedges or 1/8-inch thick chips); rinse and pat dry. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 275°F and blanch potatoes 5 minutes, cooking in batches if necessary. Drain and set aside until ready to serve.
- Mix together dry seasonings.
- Increase oil temperature to 350°F. Cook fries until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes for sticks and wedges and 1 to 2 minutes for chips. Sprinkle hot fries with seasoning mix.