Smashed Idaho® Fingerling Potatoes with BBQ Butter
- 4.5 pounds Idaho® fingerling potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup prepared BBQ sauce of choice *or see BBQ butter spice blend
- 6 ounces butter, melted
- 3 cups sweet onion, cut in ½-inch vertical strips
- 6-8 jalapeño peppers, cut in thin strips
- Picked Fresno and jalapeño peppers for garnish
- Scrub potatoes. Dry roast potatoes on a baking sheet at 400°F until potatoes are just tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place potatoes on a work surface and press with the back of a spatula or heavy skillet to about 5/8-inch thickness. Hold at room temperature until service. Or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stir together BBQ sauce and butter. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
Per serving: Scale recipe according to desired servings.
- Using a heavy skillet sized to fit potatoes in a single layer, lightly coat with olive oil. Place over medium-high heat; brown 6 ounces smashed potatoes on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup onion (1 ounce) and about 6 strips sliced jalapeño (about ½ ounce). Continue cooking 2-3 minutes to lightly cook onion and jalapeño.
- Remove pan from heat and quickly stir in 3 tablespoons BBQ butter. Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with pickled peppers.
To make BBQ Butter: Stir together 2 cups seasoning blend with 2 cups softened unsalted butter. Keep refrigerated. Use in place of prepared BBQ sauce and melted butter, adding 2-3 tablespoons BBQ butter per 6-ounce portion of potatoes.
*BBQ Butter Spice Blend
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup paprika, ground
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
Blend all ingredients in a processor until thoroughly combined. Makes about 4 cups. Store in an airtight container if not using immediately.