Scalloped Potatoes with Jalapeño
- 1/4 cup butter 2 oz.
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 12 Idaho potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 41/2 lbs.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ground nutmeg to taste
- 3 cups skim milk 11/2 lbs.
- 4 cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated 12 oz.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream 12 oz.
- 1/4 cup jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- Heat 5- or 6-inch gratin, skillet or pan. Add 1 teaspoon butter and sauté 1 tablespoon onion.
- Add 1 sliced Idaho potato (6 oz.); stir gently. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Smooth top layer of Idaho potatoes, then add 1/4 c milk. Simmer 1 minute. Sprinkle with 1 oz. Parmesan cheese. Pour 2 tablespoons cream over top; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper.
- Bake in 350ºF oven until cooked through and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Note: If desired, processed Idaho potato slices may be substituted for fresh potatoes. Follow manufacturer's instructions for dehydrated potatoes and/or frozen potatoes.