Roofers Union Duck Pot Pie
- 2 cups Idaho® potatoes, ½” dice
- ½ cup carrots, peeled, ½” dice
- ½ cup celery, ½” dice
- 1/3 cup English peas
- 1/3 cup pearl onions
- 3 cups confit duck leg meat, shredded
- 1 quart chicken stock
- ½ cup flour
- 3 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pie Crust (recipe follows)
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces cold butter, cubed
- 2-4 tablespoon ice water
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add the butter pieces and pulse 2-3 times until the butter has broken up into smaller pieces. Pour in 2 tablespoons of the ice water and pulse a few more times. If the mixture still looks very dry, add another tablespoon of water and pulse until the dough starts to come together, adding more water only if necessary.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- Place the potatoes in a heavy bottom pot and add ¼ cup water. Cover and cook over low heat for 10-5 minutes until tender. Remove potatoes from pan and let cool. Repeat this step with the carrots, celery, and pearl onions in one batch.
- While the vegetables are cooling, add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, mix the flour and butter together until combined. Add this mixture to the simmering stock, whisking to incorporate. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Add all of the vegetables and duck meat into the thickened stock and stir well. Pour the filling into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until just slightly larger than the pie pan. Wrap crust over the top of the pie pan. Brush the crust with the egg wash. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.