Roasted Idaho® Fingerling Pie with Sausage and Cheddar
- 3 pounds Idaho® Fingerling potatoes, mixed medley (10 each white, pink, purple fingerlings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bulk country sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Wash potatoes. Place the olive oil into a 1 gallon plastic food saver bag and add the fingerling potatoes. Coat the potatoes with the olive oil and place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Roast the potatoes in 450°F oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Place a large, heavy, non-stick skillet over high heat; add the sausage and onions and cook, breaking it up with a spoon into small pieces until the sausage is fully cooked and the onions are tender.
- Add the butter to the pan and let it melt. Sprinkle the flour over the pan and stir until it is blended into the meat mixture.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the gravy begins to thicken. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook until gravy returns to simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Spread ½ cup of the gravy on the bottom of a 10 inch pie plate or casserole dish. Slice the pink fingerlings into ¼ inch slices (the long way) and lay them over the gravy to form a bottom layer. Spread one cup of gravy on top.
- Slice the purple fingerling potatoes in a similar way and lay them on top of the gravy to form the next layer. Cover this layer with 1 cup of the gravy.
- Slice the white fingerling potatoes in half length-wise, and lay them on top of the gravy like the spokes of a wheel, skin side up. Spread the remaining gravy over the top.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the pie.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until the pie is bubbling and the cheese on top has browned. (You may use the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese.)
- Let the pie rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve hot.
Serving Tip: Serve with a green salad for a hearty meal. Leftover pie is great reheated for breakfast with an egg on top.
Yield: 8 slices
Sodium: 930 mg
Fat: 30 g
Protein: 20 g
Cholesterol: 75 mg