Potato, Chorizo and Cheddar Croquettes
- 2 medium sized Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1 12-ounce package pork chorizo
- ⅓ cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tablespoons half and half
- 4 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ pound cheddar cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- vegetable oil
- Fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil over a high flame. Add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and mash with potato ricer. Set to the side and allow potatoes to cool.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, fry chorizo, breaking it up with a spatula. Stir, browning evenly. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic to chorizo and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, set to the side to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, half and half and flour until smooth.
- Pour egg/flour mixture into mashed potatoes, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper. Mix well.|
- Add chorizo into mashed potatoes, mix to combine evenly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of mixture into palm of hand and insert a piece of cheddar cheese in the middle, pinching mashed potato to cover the piece of cheese entirely. Roll into a ball between both hands.
- Dredge potato ball in breadcrumbs. Place on a sheet of wax paper. Repeat until all potato balls have been dredged.
- In a large frying pan over a medium heat, add in enough vegetable oil to fill one-inch deep. Allow oil to get hot.
- With a slotted spoon, lower each croquette into the hot oil. Fry on each side for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve hot.