Mashed Idaho® Potatoes with Sweet Balsamic Onion Topper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese, optional
- 4 cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk*
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and sugar 10 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, combine the potatoes and 3/4 cup milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, place in serving bowl, cover to keep warm. (*Note: For a thinner consistency, add an additional 1/4 cup milk.)
- Add the water and vinegar to the browned onions, cook 30 seconds or until thickened slightly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and spoon over mashed potatoes. Use salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese, if desired.
Yield: 6 (3/4 cup potatoes; 2 - 3 tablespoons onion topping per serving)
Sodium: 340 mg
Fat: 14 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 6 g
Cholesterol: 30 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)