Loaded Idaho® Potato Chicken Casserole Dutch Oven
- 6 medium Idaho® potatoes, ¾" cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground rainbow pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, ¾" cubed
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 red Anaheim chili, sliced (optional)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- To start, you’ll need 20 charcoal briquettes.
- Place approximately 14 under your Dutch oven.
- Place the remaining briquettes on the Dutch oven lid to pre-heat lid.
- Cook your bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and reserve, leave bacon grease in Dutch oven.
- Using the bacon grease in the Dutch oven, add Idaho® potatoes and mix with the bacon grease.
- Then add ½ of the garlic salt, pepper, parsley and chili flakes.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- Place Dutch oven lid on, redistribute charcoal briquettes to 6 on bottom – 14 on top lid.
- Bake the Idaho® potato mix until tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Just before the Idaho® potatoes are done start an additional 10 – 12 charcoal briquettes.
- Mix cubed chicken with remaining seasoning, bacon, green onions and red Anaheim pepper.
- Spread chicken mixture on top of cooked Idaho® potatoes.
- Place the freshly lit charcoal briquettes on the Dutch oven lid.
- Cook until the chicken reaches 165° F internal, approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
- Mix the Idaho® potatoes on the bottom with the chicken on the top thoroughly when chicken has reached temperature.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top of the Loaded Idaho® Potato Chicken Casserole.
- Replace lid and melt cheese, approximately 5 minutes.