Loaded Breakfast Pot Pie
Crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole, packed with layers of potatoes, eggs, bacon, cheese and topped with buttermilk biscuits.
Read Anita's full post here.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 4 Idaho® baking potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cream for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the slices of bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until crisp. Drain on a paper towel but leave the oven on.
- While the bacon is cooking, add the butter, onion and bell pepper to a large skillet and sauté for 10 - 15 minutes or until softened. Cool for a few minutes.
- Make the biscuits by combining the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If the butter becomes warm, place the bowl in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.
- Stir in the buttermilk and turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Kneed just until it's no longer sticky then fold it onto itself, roll it back out and repeat 4 times.
- Pat it out to about 3/4" thick and, using a 2 1/2" pastry cutter, cut out rounds. Re-roll the scraps and continue. You should end up with about 10 biscuit rounds.
- Peel the potatoes and grate on the large side of a box grater. You can also shred them in a food processor. Butter the bottom of a baking dish (I used a 14" dish) and add the potatoes.
- Whisk the eggs, salt and onion mixture together and pour over the potatoes.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and spread over the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bacon.
- Top with the biscuit rounds, brush them with the cream and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the biscuits are a light golden brown.