Lamb and Potato Vindaloo
- 1/4 cup peeled fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 large garlic gloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 3/4 lbs lamb shoulder o-bone (round bone) chops, fat trimmed, boned, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup canned tomato puree
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium Idaho russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, choped
- Combine ginger, garlic, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and next 7 ingredients in processor. Puree until paste forms.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Add half of lamb. Sauté until brown, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer lamb to bowl. Repeat with remaining lamb. Add onions and spice paste to pot. Sauté until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Return lamb to pot. Add tomato puree, yogurt and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add 5 cups water. increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Gently simmer uncovered until lamb is almost tender, about 50 minutes.
- Add potatoes; cover and simmer until potatoes and lamb are lender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro.