Kale and Idaho® Potato Nuggets
These bites may seem naughty but they are really nutritious and, most importantly, tasty! This is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes—just skip the part about cooking the potatoes and use leftover mashers instead. (From The Vegan Air Fryer, copyright © 2017 by JL Fields. Used by permission. Photo by Michelle Donner.)
- 2 cups finely chopped Russet Idaho® Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups loosely packed coarsely chopped kale
- 1/8 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil spray, as needed
- Add the potatoes to a large saucepan of boiling water. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add the kale and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the milk, salt, and pepper and mash with a fork or potato masher. Transfer the potatoes to the large bowl and combine with the cooked kale. Preheat the air fryer to 390°F for 5 minutes.
- Roll the potato and kale mixture into 1-inch nuggets. Spritz the air fryer basket with vegetable oil. Place the nuggets in the air fryer and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown, shaking at 6 minutes.
No-Oil Option: Omit the olive oil.