• 5 to 6 Idaho® Yukon Gold Potatoes
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 3 tablespoons butter, divided, plus more for greasing dish
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon white pepper, ground
• 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
• 20 Swedish anchovy fillets (brine reserved)
• 2 cups heavy cream
• ½ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
• Salmon or trout roe for serving (optional)
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch x 3-inch strips.
2. Sauté the onions gently in 1 tablespoon butter without browning. Season with the salt, white pepper and allspice.
3. Grease an ovenproof baking dish with butter and cover the bottom with a layer of potatoes (using a third of the prepped strips), then add half the onions and half the anchovy fillets. Add another layer of potatoes, then the rest of the onions and anchovies. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
4. Flatten the surface. Mix the cream and reserved anchovy brine, then pour over the potatoes.
5. Place a few pats of butter on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (if using). Bake in a 450°F oven until the potatoes are cooked and the top is golden, about 1 hour. Dish can also be baked and served in the anchovy tin. Serve with roe, if desired.